Princeton, BC Museum

 

Princeton & District

Museum and Archives

About Us

 


Location & Mailing Address


167 Vermilion Avenue, Princeton BC

Just off Highway 3


PO Box 281

Princeton BC, V0X 1W0


Mission Statement


PDMA is a Society committed to protecting, preserving, restoring and collecting items pertaining to the history of Princeton and the surrounding area. PDMA is proud of its volunteerism and community support.


Redesign and Expansion


Following three years of discussions and planning, the Princeton Museum has had a complete overhaul.  The building that previously housed the museum and library is now dedicated entirely to the museum. With a brand new look and double the square footage, this small town museum is now a small world class facility that is not to be missed.  Local contracting firm “Fred and Company” have done a high quality renovation that has brought this vintage building into the 21st century with the use of high quality materials and an open concept architectural plan. 

 

The museum society enlisted the help of design team Richard Simpson and Robin Lowe, who have a combined 30 years experience in film and television set design, and in two short months, created a space that is nothing short of spectacular.  With an emphasis on honouring Princeton’s past, while utilizing modern materials and design concepts, this space is barely recognizable and is sure to put Princeton on the map as a community with an interactive, educational and exciting facility for locals and visitors.



Museum and Archive Collections


The PDMA has a wide range of historic collections reflecting Princeton's history:

  1. an extensive range of local pioneer items providing a visual record of life in Princeton

  2. A First Peoples basket display exhibiting various weaving styles and periods; currently on loan to the Upper Similkameen Indian Band in Hedley at the Snaza'ist Discovery Centre

  3. a fossil and mineral collection of over 40,000 specimens many from local sites

  4. a complete Princeton newspaper collection from 1900 through to the present providing a rare accessible source for local families, historians, students and researchers

  5. approximately 10,000 photographs from 1880 to present chronicling area history

  6. over 200 audiotape recordings featuring pre-1980 interviews with Princeton pioneers

  7. historic maps and mining reports from 1858 to present and original records of all mining claims in the area. All of significant value to historians, government and business

  8. a collection of 83 Notman Studios glass plate photographs; late 1800 - early 1900's

  9. an 1880’s cabin which housed John Fall Allison’s daughter Lily, her husband John Norman & their 6 children.



Museum Evolution


PDMA has evolved from a small group of dedicated citizens interested in preserving the area history to the current structure of a registered charity and BC Society.

  1. 1958 Established in small log cabin

  2. 1967 Town of Princeton constructed existing building as a Centennial project

  3. 1970 Incorporated under societies act as Princeton and District Pioneer Museum

  4. 1983 Name changed to Princeton and District Museum and Archives Society

  5. 1985 Construction of Livery Stables and Farm Implement Shed

  6. 1999 Joe Pollard Wing constructed to house 40,000 fossils and minerals

  7. 2011 Expansion into former library space